Re: [NTLK] Proof Jobs isn't an idiot (was: Proof Jobs is an idiot)

From: Russell Martin (abecedarian_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 11:06:57 EST

On Sunday, November 10, 2002, at 06:29 AM, Ed Kummel
<tech_ed_at_yahoo.com> :

> Like all those Apple switch
> commercials are real? uh-huh...the girl who saved
> christmas with iphoto...unless she celebrates
> christmas during the epiphany (somewhere in
> february)...iphoto wasn't offered last christmas!

Um, go watch Janie Porche again:
http://www.apple.com/switch/ads/janieporche.html

She doesn't mention iPhoto once. She only says that she was able to
download the photos into her computer without having to download any
extra drivers for her OS. This is something that, now and even before
iPhoto was released, is easy and painless to do with most digital
cameras. I had a similar experience at work. I was trying to get a
polaroid (or kodak, I don't remember exactly) usb camera to connect to
a Dell PC.

To make a long story short, I downloaded all kinds of updates for both
Windows & the camera. I flashed both the bios of the computer and the
firmware of the camera. I even tried wiping the hard drive and
installing only Windows & the camera software. Because it was at work,
I had the luxury of trying this scenario on several Dell PCs that were
identical models (I could just dump our current hard drive image back
on them after I was done experimenting with them), and then trying on a
Dell that was different (GX 115 vs. the others that were GX 110s).

Even after calling Polaroid & Dell and doing everything that they
suggested to me, the camera would never work properly. It would
connect, but would always freeze the computers when trying to transfer
photos.

After about two weeks of struggling with this when I had time, I
brought my iBook to work. Plugged in the camera, it mounted as a disk
in the Finder (this was in OS X), and I could copy the photos to my
hard drive.

To be fair, I was able to successfully get the camera to work with my
work provided Toshiba laptop, but it did involve installing additional
drivers, which the mac did not require.

Unfortunately, the teacher in the classroom with the Dells is not able
to use this camera with her desktop system.

> Then we all have a good laugh about how all
> apple users must be retarded! (sorry to everyone who
> really IS retarded, no insult intended...;-P

It's a pain for her. It was a pain for me. No, I'm not "retarded". In
fact, I'm a very skilled PC/LAN support tech with about 7 years
experience. I'm actually smart enough to be able to discern the
difference between quality design & crappy/inferior imitations.

Russ Martin
abecedarian_at_mac.com
russell_martin_at_yahoo.com

"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother
me, it is the parts that I do understand." [Mark Twain]

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html