Re: [NTLK] Battery Power Indicator/Avi's Backdrop

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 10:51:38 EST

on 11/11/02 01:05, Bungalow930_at_aol.com at Bungalow930_at_aol.com wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I've noticed that after I recharge my alkalines and put them back in my 2000,
> I seem to get a constant 100% level from Avi's. Odd, since, on their first
> use, the battery power indicator worked perfectly.
>
> Any fixes/packages to remedy this?

What do you mean, the level never goes below 100%? Or takes way too long?
That could be the voltage of those batteries. I'm no expert in the battery
field, but different types of batteries have different characteristics.
Avi's Backdrop was designed when only regular alkaline and NiMH were used in
a Newton. It is most likely designed to handle the differences between those
2 types. But if rechargeable alkaline have different power characteristics
(which I don't know), Avi's Backdrop is maybe fooled because it expects
regular alkaline, thus the strange reading.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

creationism n.: The (false) belief that large, innovative software designs can be completely specified in advance and then painlessly magicked out of the void by the normal efforts of a team of normally talented programmers. In fact, experience has shown repeatedly that good designs arise only from evolutionary, exploratory interaction between one (or at most a small handful of) exceptionally able designer(s) and an active user population -- and that the first try at a big new idea is always wrong. Unfortunately, because these truths don't fit the planning models beloved of management, they are generally ignored.