Re: [NTLK] SMTP probs on the go

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 16:38:07 EST

>You'll have to set the SMTP server to be whatever the
>cafe authorizes. There should be some instructions on
>that somewhere in the cafe's setting configuration.
>What's happening is that the cafe won't let a port 25
>leave their internal network...and you probably have
>your own SMTP server setup in your owner's slip. You

Possible certainly but I think that it's more likely that his provider's
SMTP (nothing to do with the cafe) won't let him send via their SMTP 'cos
he's not coming in from an IP block that they trust (in other words, he
could be a spammer). We've recently had posts about Earthlink blocking
port 25 but that's rather uncommon.

Usually (well often anyway) ISP's set their SMTP server so that if you
check your mail then for the next 3 or 5 min or so the IP that you are
connected from is authorized to send mail as well (since you just logged in
they know you are you, so to speak). This is something they can set in
addition to authenticating options.

I think this is likely the case since it seems he's getting a real "relay
denied" message from the server, indicating that he's not allowed to use
that server from an untrusted IP address. If port 25 were blocked at the
cafe, he'd most likely get a timeout or other error from Simplemail about
not being able to reach the host, but not a "relay denied".

The fix is to try again, checking your mail first then sending mail very
shortly after. If that doesn't work, maybe call the ISP and ask about
enabling this feature. It's commonly implemented. All the SMTPd I've set
up on classic MacOS have it as an option, even, let alone fancy UNIX
implementations.

HTH.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html