Re: [NTLK] Some Observations & Re: 130 Turns Off

From: Phil Denton (nanjad_at_ozemail.com.au)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 06:09:30 EST

On November 12 2002, Joel M. Sciamma <joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com> wrote:

>Stephanie,
>
>> This leads me to the conclusion that all the various alignment problems
>> were definately in the screen assembly, and didn't have anything to do
>> with the motherboard. I'm sure others who've replaced the screens have
>> noticed the same thing?
>
>My experiences are identical - the problems like screen alignment and =
other
>ills follow the screen sub-assembly.
>
>> So the instantly turning off problem, is likely due to mechanical wear =
and
>> tear on the switch.
>
>This is happening to me too occasionally so I will try moving the switch
>back instead of just letting the spring return it - this might make a
>difference?
>
>The switch does not feel weak on return but it might be bouncing when
>released, tripping sleep.

Joel, Steph and Frank,

(YMMV, no affiliation)

I have been waiting for the Jaggies topic to come back. I can't test =
because I don't have it and don't want it.

Firstly, !ooW has previously advised to reduce the software load, which =
fixed a slight case for me in the past, but also I have found since many =
years that poor/intermittent contact causes ill defined electronic =
problems.

Recently I fixed a time/date battery problem on a beige G3 which appeared =
to be related to the mobo.

The battery had been replaced to no avail and just before replacing the =
motherboard (or the battery clip) I applied some "DeoxIT" cleaner from CAIG =
Laboratories <www.caig.com> to the clip, which fixed the problem.

I think Ed has recommended a similar cleaner before but I can't remember =
for which problem exactly.

I also used DeoxIT on my WallStreet Power Manager components which had =
occasionally been acting strangely, also with a good result.

I wonder if part of the jaggies problem and also the power switch =
inconsistency may be due to poor contacts. Steph seems to have found some =
broken contact problem, but as the circuits are probably high impedance it =
wouldn't take much oxidation to cause trouble.

I was contemplating to send a DeoxIT kit to you Frank to earn my 2kg. of =
finest chocolate as I was lucky to obtain a number of kits. I wonder if =
postage would be too high but you can contact me off list if you think =
otherwise, maybe we could trade something (chocolate coated ser001?) =
{:>)

Good luck hope this might help.

Phil Denton=

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html