Re: [NTLK] NewtsCape Was: Web Broswers

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 19:18:24 EST

At 06:39 PM 11/12/2002 -0500, "Blair Rosser" <newton_at_7thfloormedia.com> wrote:

>ps - The only thing that would make this experience ideal, would be if the
>width of page that NewtsCape uses for creating new pages in Newtworks was
>configurable so that text wouldn't scroll horizontally off-screen.

I agree it's too bad about the state of Newton browsing at this stage in
the platform's development. We've come so far in other aspects (instant
messaging, WiFi, MP3, ATA, new syncing prospects, dongle elimination,
backlight/touchscreen improvements, etc.), but improvement of the Web
browsing experience seems to be at a standstill. Not to denegrate the
awesome work of Steve Weyer -- Newt's Cape is an amazing, useful and
powerful tool -- but when someone favorably compares the browsing speed on
a Mac SE/30 with that of the Newton, well, I can't help but feel the desire
for something faster and more modern.

Having said that, I do very much the same thing as you Blair -- downloading
pages via Newt's Cape and post-processing to Works so I can read them
quickly when I am ready.

I am also a Gesture Launch user and have a script set up to resize Works
papers to screen size when I write a "W" over the Works icon. This is the
next best thing to having the papers automatically sized as they are
created by Newt's Cape. Perhaps you may wish to try this as well.

-Jeremy

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html