Re: [NTLK] Some Observations

From: Eric Byrne (ericbyrne_at_eircom.net)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 20:16:41 EST

 on 11-11-2002 5:11, Stephanie Maks at newton_at_maksystems.com wrote:

> One other thing, was I used to have the problem that the MP2100 would
> occasionaly turn off as soon as I turned it on. This was especialy
> prevelant at night, when I turned it on then held the slide switch to
> activate the backlight. Then as soon as I let go of the slide switch,
> the newton would switch off. Also, if it was already on and I tried to
> turn on the backlight with the slide switch, it would take a few tries
> before I'd get the backlight and the newton to stay on.

If you remove the switch assembly and spray it with lots of switch contact
cleaner,
while turning the switch on and off, it should clean the switch contacts
enough to ensure
reliable operation.
When I cleaned my Newton's power switch this way it worked fine for about
1.5 years.
To avoid taking the Newton apart again, and because its such an easy fix, as
I posted the other day,
install FixTrax.
It was originally for MP130's but works great on my 2100, as it stops the
Newton switching
off for a few seconds after being switched on.
Regards,
Eric Byrne.
p.s. use a software solution for both backlight and to switch off the
Newton,
as it saves wear and tear on the power switch.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html