Re: [NTLK] OT : Sharp Announces new version of Linux Handheld

From: David Orriss Jr (dave_at_davenet.net)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 11:41:33 EST

On Wednesday, November 13, 2002 8:24 AM,
Gerstein, Sam <Sam.Gerstein_at_Streamserve.Com> wrote:

> Finally, I think that the argument against a "hand-held computer" can be
> dismissed- the PDA, the *assistant* we want can run as an /application/ on
> this computer!

Y'know I hadn't thought of it that way. Excellent point. It would be fun
to run a 'small scaled' version of KOffice or Evolution.... Or to have a
choice of email clients. Or to be able to write software in Java and run it
on a handheld... and if I wanted to run Palm apps, just use the Q-Topia Palm
OS Emulator that's been ported... and....

Er.. I better stop thinking about this, lest I look forward to my wife
kicking my butt next year when I tell her I'm going to get one... ;)

I have tried their HWR system on the current model. It's character based,
and more like a "Jot" or Grafitti tho. But that doesn't mean that someone
couldn't do a better one later.. It *does* do word completion tho, which is
very cool, IMHO.

Still... I'll always be attached to my Newton....

--
David Orriss Jr.
dave_at_davenet.net

Please email me if you want my ICQ/AIM/IM ID's.