Re: [NTLK] Some Observations

From: J. E. Simons (newtlink_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 12:50:23 EST

From: Stephanie Maks <newton_at_maksystems.com>

-----------SIC

I don't know how much of this has already been discovered or pointed
out by others, but since swapping the screen on my Newton, I've noticed a
few differences.

This leads me to the conclusion that all the various alignment problems
were definately in the screen assembly, and didn't have anything to do
with the motherboard. I'm sure others who've replaced the screens have
noticed the same thing?

it's not from "swapping" the screens.. i just replaced the casing on my 2100, and what i think that it is is.. the touch screen contacts.. the little ribbon cable that contacts with the motherboard.. i noticed that inside my 2100 that some of the solder joints had become corroded.. not that i keep my 2100 in conditions that would promote it.. i think that the contacts get corrosion on them.. which i think is from a glavanic reaction between the metals of the ribbon cable and the actual contacts on the motherboard, and it causes the problems with the "jaggies" from the contacts not making contact.. so, by reseating the motherboard you create new contacts.. and the "jaggies" go away..

but then again, i could be wrong about all of this..

i actually cleaned the contacts and the corrosion of the joints.. and all the crud on the edges of the touchscreen that was inside the case..

and tightened all the screws, so my 2100 feels very solid now..

i'm so happy with my 2100..