Re: [NTLK] DIY solar power?

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 02:43:42 EST

The effect of solar flares is what you can see in the visible frequency
range or in the ultraviolet range. They are caused from anomalies in the
solar activity.
What the earth has to suffer from is the so called solar wind - fast moving
particles and electrons with high energy coming from the sun.
Fortunately our Earth is quiet well protected due to the earth magnetic
field which forms a protection belt around the earth.
Near the poles this field is more weak, thus particles and electrons from
the solar wind can enter more deep into the earths atmosphere and the
interaction you can see as the so called polar lights.
If you consider a solar panel on the ISS or on satellites they have really
to suffer from the solar storms.
But on Earth this is rather negligible despite you are very high above sea
level.

Johannes

=/ap/20021112/ap_on_sc/solar_flares

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html