Re: [NTLK] Newton Linux...

From: Will Leingang (will.leingang_at_navpress.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 08:49:31 EST

Hello,

Thanks for finding this... Unfortunatly as you said, it hasn't been updated
in years. Considering this, I decided a few months ago to start some
discussion and see what the interest might be in actually persuing a Newt
linux port. There were mixed comments, but all in all, there was enough
support that I decided it would be "worth a shot" at getting linux ported to
the Newt.

I've spent the last couple of months mapping the architecture of NewtOS in
an effort to build a suitable kernel for it. The hardest part of this whole
project has been getting a reliable bootloader working with the Newt
Hardware, it's unpredictable at best. Yet it is key to starting any actual
realtime development.

Between discussions with CRL in Cambridge, Walter Smith (Newton project
lead), and various embedded linux uberGeeks, I think the project will have
something to show for itself by the end of the year.

I've been thinking on building a simple site, weblog mostly, to monitor the
port process. This of course would take time, time I don't really have.

At any rate, would you be interested in participating in my half-baked
scheme? Or were you just interested in knowing if there was such a thing?

Will