Re: [NTLK] Fixing ribbon cables

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 18:03:12 EST

Andrew,

> Anyone who has taken apart their eMate: How feasible would it be to
> replace the spring with a less volatile friction-causing component like
> a rubber gasket or a small section of surgical tubing or something like
> that?

I think you underestimate the amount of friction that is required to support
the screen properly given the leverage ratio and how little space there is.
Using other materials would, I suspect, lead either to a a screen that would
not remain in position or a mechanism that would wear very quickly.

Due to Simon Muller's insight I'm sure we understand the way the hinge fails
now - it gets pulled out as friction increases - and dismantling the hinge,
cleaning it, uncurling the springs, lubricating it and putting a creased
washer on top satisfies all the requirements: The action is smooth, stable
and no further risk to the cable is possible and no new components are
required.

If Apple had made the spring in one piece instead of two none of these
problems could ever have arisen.

I am working an a new version of the hinge repair document which will give
very detailed descriptions of what you can do. I have completed 5 eMate's
now and all are working well.

Frank is working on a comprehensive set of pages that will show how to
disassemble the eMate to perform any maintenance you can realistically
perform.

Joel.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html