Re: [NTLK] eMate screen issues

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 18:35:22 EST

Nate,

> Since I really have no intention of trucking her around in a backpack, Would
> keeping the eMate in the "open" position most of the time rather than opening
> and closing it all the time prolong the life of my eMate's hinge-springs?

The answer is yes in the short term but probably no in the long term. Let me
explain:

Less you move the screen, less likely is it that a spring clutch will pull
out and damage the cable. However, the reason that it pulls out is because
of increased friction as a result of drying grease. So longer you leave it,
greater is the chance that the friction will increase to the point where it
pulls out a spring.

The only safe option is to open the eMate and check that the hinges are OK,
make any repairs if necessary, grease them and apply a protective washer for
more years of reliable service.

Doing nothing looks like it will guarantee a failure sometime in the future.

I am about half way through my rewrite of the instructions for this
procedure and it should be ready in a week or two and I will post here when
it is.

Joel.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html