Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V2 #780

From: sc0tty techn0ir (tick0001_at_algonquincollege.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 00:18:43 EST

Andrew Thiel is quoted as saying:

>On Friday, November 15, 2002, at 12:06 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
>wrote:
>> From: sc0tty techn0ir <tick0001_at_algonquincollege.com>
>> Andrew Thiel is quoted as saying:
>>>
>>> Actually, a stripped-down version of Linux running in an optional
>>> terminal widow (ala OSX) would be quite helpful for the following
>>> activities:
>>>
>>> 1. Soup editing
>>> 2. Porting a *real* web browser
>> whoa! we already have an excellent and feature-rich browser. i think
>> newt's cape is taking alot of flak on account of the poor performance of
>> NiE2. newt's cape rocks, imho, and i challenge anyone to an unreal
>> tournament deathmatch who begs to differ =]
>
>Excellent and feature rich as long as you don't need... (copied from the
>Newt's Cape site)
>
>no support for Java, Javascript, SSL (secure socket layer), CSS
>(cascading style sheets), vCard,iCalendar, XML, ...;
>
>...and might I add mpeg movie support, flash, shockwave, and the fact
>that we can't even hope that any of this will be added because we
>haven't seen the likes of a new version since March 2001.

ok so you want Steve to invent newton support for all these things? can
mpegs play on the newt? flash and shockwave? they doesn't work on my
quadra either. CSS? so you can see the colours, or because you want
newtscape to process fonts you don't have? sure ssl would be nice, as
would all the rest. i tend to look at what we Do have [ try living with
nethopper ] and i think newtscape makes up for lack of silly flash junk
and pop up ads. and i was unaware that it was "no longer supported",
although you are right that there hasn't been a new version for some
time. i guess it is pretty subjective what features are "needed" by
newton users who i would expect have powerful browsers on their desktops.
in short: Nie sucks [we agree] which makes downloading any mpeg or
shockwave/flash stuff a joke anyway.

[[scotty t]]

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html