[NTLK] Need help connecting Lucent WaveLan Silver card

From: Joseph Solin (jsolin_at_interserv.com)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 01:24:06 EST

Help...I can't establish a wireless connection and I really don't know
what I am doing.

Here is my configuration:

1) Newton 2100 with NIE 2.0 (works with modem) (Apple talk preferences
set to use EtherTalk and Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE card)
2) Wireless drives for my card installed but not registered yet
(configured to use card for AppleTalk selected, ad-hock, channel 6,
SSID "default", no WEP
3) Generic Ethernet setup w/ Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE, subnet of
255.255.255.0, IP of 192.168.0.3, gateway of 192.168.0.1, dns of
192.168.0.1, no domain name
4) 17" iMac w/ 10.2.2 (IP address of 192.168.0.1, subnet of
255.255.255.0, Personal sharing is on w/ file sharing enabled, Internet
sharing enabled (use a modem for connection in iMac)
5) D-Link Wireless Access Point (IP address of 192.168.0.100, Channel
number 6, Community string "private", Insecure access is enabled)

The Lucent card displays a green light when inserted. But shows no
activity.

There are so many things I could have set wrong that I don't know where
to begin.

Id like to be able to use the Newton Connection Utilities in Classic
Mode, but when I attempt to change the preferences to listen for Newton
via AppleTalk I get the following error:

You have not named your computer using the sharing setup control panel,
and I can't find the sharing setup control panel.

What does that mean? How do I even know if I am communicating with the
access point? How can I ping to check access?

Please help me.

Thanks,

Joe

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html