Re: [NTLK] PrintPack via Ethernet

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 13:50:31 EST

>I am not sure if routers will stop AppleTalk over Ethernet packages. In fact
>they should be treated similar as any other TCP/IP package.

Unfortunately, it is apparently possible to block Appletalk packets at the
router. Any Appletalk traffic on your segment will get carried, but not
beyond. This is a major bummer for me because our IT department did just
this. I used to be able to print from my Newt to several Postscript
printers on our network via Appletalk -- no more. All the Macs in our
company were set to print via lpr/lpd.

Another item for the Newton wish list... an lpr/lpd driver. Sigh....

-Jeremy

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html