Re: [NTLK] Speed upgrade and funny lines on screen

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 02:28:16 EST

Hey Jon.
I may have the answer for you.
I ran into a similar problem.
See my NewtSpeed page here:
http://newton.tek-ed.com/newtspeed/xtal2/img0012.htm
for details.
Basically what I found is that the upper door clip and
it's indention was putting pressure on my crystal
assembly and causing something to go kerflooie
(technical talk...don't try to use this word without
professional supervision) I had to make some
imaginative bends in my wires to clear the door clippy
thing. After this, it runs fine.
Before I found this though, I found that the Newt
would run fine if I just didn't tighten the upper
screw all the way...I ran like this for a week before
my curiosity got the best of me! I recommend you look
at this for your solution...also, a judicious use of
electrical tape keeps things from shorting out as
well.
Good Luck
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Jon Kinney <madsk8er_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Hello I have installed the cheap speed upgrade...the
> 5 MHz and 3.686 combo
> crystals with the switch...it works great and I am
> really happy with the
> speed when upped to nearly 220 mhz...but I have one
> problem...it works with
> the back casing off...but if I put it back on, even
> just snap it in place,
> The switch won't work at the accelerated speed. It
> gets a black line on the
> screen (vertical) and forces me to switch back to
> the regular speed, which
> works flawlessly. So has anyone had this problem
> before? I re-soldered
> everything to make sure the connections were solid
> and they seem to be. My
> next thing to try would be to use 2 new crystals...?
> But it works with the
> back off!!!!! Any ideas? Thanks,
>
> Jon

=====
Why is that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life
in the universe are pointed away from Earth?
     --Anonymous