Re: [NTLK] A barrage of newbie questions...

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 03:24:57 EST

on 11/20/02 3:44 PM, Christopher Edwards at chris_at_ingramedwards.com wrote:

> I have a 2100. What do I need to back-up the Newton? Newton Connection Kit
> or something else? Is there something called Newton Backup Utility?
>
> I am running OS X so I will be using it in Calssic. It's just to back-up. I
> use NewTen to install packages.

 I don't use X, so I can't help with your Classic questions, but I can help
with what software to use.

Newton Connection Kit (NCK) is for use on older Newton Messagepads running
earlier versions of the Newton OS, namely OS 1.x. When Apple came out with
OS 2.0, they changed too much stuff, so they created Newton Backup Utility
(NBU) so that you could back up and restore information, as well as install
packages. Finally, when the 2100 series came out, they released Newton
Connection Utility (NCU) which allows for syncing with various datebook and
address book formats. Unfortunately, while the ability to add programs to be
synced was built into the software, practically no software manufacturers
took advantage of this. The only apps that sync with NCU are Claris
Organizer (and Palm Desktop up to version 2.x) and Now Up to Date and
Contact 3.0. NCU does allow for importing and exporting of data, which still
works, even under Classic (I believe).

Simply put, the app you are looking for is NCU. I am supposing you have
found these things on <http://www.unna.org/>, as this is the place to find
them. :-)

HTH

--