Re: [NTLK] Still dead 130

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 03:24:58 EST

on 11/20/02 10:56 PM, Blair Rosser at newton_at_7thfloormedia.com wrote:

> Have you tried changing this battery? I believe it's similar to a watch
> battery, and rated at about 5 years shelf life.
>
> I may be way off on this, and would hope somebody with a bit more knowledge
> will weigh in on this as a possible problem.

Actually, this may be the problem. If the newton was sitting for a long time
with no or dead batteries, the backup battery will be used for preserving
the settings. It gets used up faster, and then, when it's dead, you can no
longer turn the Newton on when running on batteries. You will need to plug
it in. If it powers up when plugged in, then you will get a message saying
your backup battery needs to be replaced. I just got 5 120s and 130s and
every one of them had this problem.

Unfortunately it is also possible, especially with a 130, that it is
"shocked." This sometimes happens when you let the battery drain too far. It
really takes a lot of work to get it to boot again. I have tried waiting
overnight with it plugged in, hitting the reset dozens of times in a row, as
well as holding down the reset button and holding down the power key and
both at the same time, all to get my 130 to finally turn on. In the end,
after such a freeze, I've always lost my system update, as well as date and
time info.

I'm guessing that either one of these is your problem.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland