[NTLK] Living with wireless transmitters

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 06:42:58 EST

Given the current threads about wireless links of various sorts, what are
the views here on being exposed to low-power microwave transmitters in
Newts, laptops and shortly, everything else?

I have been reading the science press for years as various ideas and studies
have appeared as to the biological effects of EM radiation across the
spectrum but the rapid uptake of cellular comms, 802.11 and Bluetooth means
that we are now physically very close to these small transmitters for long
periods of time. Bluetooth Tx output is probably at too low a level to be of
concern but, as I work from home, I'm not at all sure I want to be in
multiple microwave EM fields for nearly 20hrs a day, every day. My
background is in electronics so I understand the technologies but this is
largely irrelevant to this discussion.

I don't have any particular need or desire for wireless connectivity so it
hasn't been an issue so far but I suspect more products will have these
technologies built-in in the future and may be impossible to avoid.

Joel.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html