[NTLK] Smaller case (was: frozen Newton project)

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 19:28:48 EST

>I wonder if a slightly smaller case
>would place any stress on the screen, or any of the other electrical
>components?

You bet. And unless the new parts are EXACTLY like the old
parts, you have an excellent chance of not getting the battery pack
in and out afterwards. Even with the original Newtons this is difficult occasionally
(there are significant manufacturing tolerances in these parts or in the
way they are put together).

Another thing we should at least not ignore is that the original case
has an EMV shielding on the inside. Probably Apple did not put it
there because they had too much money, but because it makes
the Newton safe EMV-wise in both directions. I'm not sure if simply
leaving out this shielding would be a problem or not. Considering
the fact that there are transparent 110's that work just fine, maybe it
won't. But, considering the fact that there are much higher frequencies
involved in a 2x00, maybe it will.

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html