[NTLK] On the edge of ethernet

From: David Busey (im-wired_at_attbi.com)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 23:37:22 EST

Hello all,

True to form with my e-mail address (im wired) I'm looking to get my newt
ethernetted to the world. Thus, I've begun attempting to connect to my LAN.

First to send a test print to my HP Laserjet 5MP (connected to my LAN via a
Farallon Etherwave adapter) then I'll try graduating to getting on the net
(AT&T Broadband) and pull e-mail or something.

Having some trouble getting connected though. I've read various ethernet
'how to' articles I found references to while browsing the archives.

Here's my setup:

Hardware: Newt 2100 w. 3Com Etherlink III
According to...
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIB2c
...the ethernet PC card I have is doable: The model printed on the card
says, "3Com 3C589C".

Software I have installed (listed in sequence of installation):

 -NIE 2.0
    Internet setup
    Newton Internet Enabler
    NIE Localtalk Module
    NIE Ethertalk Module

(Some various drivers that my reading lead me to.)
 -3C589
 -Farallon Enet

 -z3ComDrf:clli (a patch for the Farallon driver that is supposed
                        to enable use of various 3com cards).

THE PROBLEM:
Trouble is, even with both of those drivers installed, my specific card does
not show up in the pop-up (lackin both in Prefs --> Appletalk *and* in
the Internet Setup application).

Here's the ones that are listed (most of which I've tested without success).
3Com 3C589 PC Card
3Com 3C589D PC Card
Farallon Enet PC Card
Megahertz 589D
Megahertz 589DT

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I ATTEMPT:
As a connectivity test, I've been trying to print.
In Print Setup I've selected "HP LaserJet"
It goes through the motions ("Connecting to..." followed shortly by
"Printing Page 1" but alas, nothing comes out the other end.

OTHER CLUES?
I realize the fundamental problem is likely to be that I haven't gotten the
"Right" driver loaded but here's some other "symptoms" anyway...

1. In print setup if I tap "Choose Network Laserwriter" just fer' grins, I
get an error dialogue from the Chooser...
" i Chooser
  There is a problem opening the
  chooser. (-61001)"

2. Also, the green light on the PC card's dongle is only green for about 20
secnds after I insert the card. After that, it goes dark again.
Megahertz 589E

A moment from someone with a little nudge in the right direction would be
super appreciated!

TIA,
David Busey
Beaverton, OR