Re: [NTLK] Changing links

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 02:38:54 EST

"Frank Gruendel" <fg2_at_pda-soft.de> wrote:

(*snip*)

> Webmaster W1 decides that "applications" isn't a fitting directory
name
> for applications, so he puts the cool application here:
>
> http://www.w1.com/twiddleDee/theCoolestPackageEver.pkg.
>
> How is the meta refresh tag going to ensure that my unchanged link
> is directed to W1's new link??

The meta refresh tag is good -- IF you control the pages yourself --
that is, if you change the location of a page, you leave a "pointer"
page with the meta refresh tag in it to redirect your users to that
page.

If you're trying to link to pages on other people's sites, that is a
different set of problems (and applications) all together. I seem to
recall one that tracks such changes on the Mac ... but can't think of
the name right now (sorry about that --!).

Good luck ....

--gdw

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html