Re: [NTLK] Frozen Newton Casing

From: J. E. Simons (newtlink_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 04:28:49 EST

just to clarifiy this.. this is an email from Ferdi to myself, in regards to my posts and my retort to his post and email to me.. Ferdi didn't realize that the FNP cases were made from clear resins, and molded in silicone.. which is clearly stated on the Masa FNP English site.. then he asks me where i got my info.. *and* if i could help him find out how to do cast resins.. (i *suppose* to compile info for the $5.00 eBay auctions..) i've never dealt with this guy.. i have been around NTLK long enough to realize what is real and what isn't.. it seems to me, that if you want a clear case bad enough, go and make one yourself.. search Google for "cast resin plastic", and you will find out enough information on how to make a clear case for less than $50.00USD for everything.. of course, i could have sold *THAT* info for $5.00USD a pop on eBay.. hahaha.. but, seriously, if you want one.. make one.. James. From Ferdi on Mon, 25 Nov 2002 00:01:06 -0700--------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------i apologize, but i have been based on newtontalk quite a bit as of late (mainly by Woo Lee) and im extra sensitive to things like this. From what i read on the masanewton website the cost was 30000 HK dollars (about 230 bucks US) and they did use a mold but i could have been reading the japanese wrong. I really mean to see this project to completion, why should our friends across the pacific have all the fun :) If you had delt with me you would find that contrary to belief i am a good seller that tries to make sure that those who deal with me come away happy. Could you direct me to the page that you read about cast silicone? I would be very intersted in broadening my knowledge as i thought i had researched this completely before posting. It seems that cast silicone if it does cost 500$ each is a higher priced alternative than the injection moulds that i am attempting to create. Thanks for the heads up.
Ferdi ----- Original Message ----- From: J. E. Simons To: Ferdi Ozguner Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 11:26 PMSubject: Re:

oh brother..
it was not an attack on you, it was MY peronal misgivings about dealing with you.. based on your deals on eBay..
no i haven't dealt with you, *because* of your auctions on eBay..
and i really don't care if you have 25 "responses" to the clear case.. i'm sure that if i posted that i could have a titanium casing made, i'd get more than a few also.. big deal..
if you did your homework on the Frozen Newton Project, you would already know that they used cast silicone, and injected clear resin to make the cases.. how do i know?? i asked them.. and for the 500.00 bucks that they were charging, they did not do any final finishing to it.. you have to cut all the flashing and do any final fitting to the casing parts.. so, don't tell me that it won't work, because that it the way that they did it..
pretty weak about the "list rules".. i didn't post anything that was directly, personally negative, i posted my opinion on my personal misgivings on dealing with you.. based on eBay..
so, that's my opinion.. just like anyone else's.. there are quite a few things that i disagree with that is posted on NTLK, but that is the poster's opinions.. and what can you do?? not much..
so lighten up..
j.
 Ferdi Ozguner <fozguner_at_ualberta.ca> wrote: Jim, I understand that perhaps your not comfortable about dealing with me due to those few that have very vocally expressed their opinions about me on the list but have YOU ever delt with me? Before posting such a comment shouldnt you speak from your own experience. I have sold many items to several list members, upgraded several units to ones with blue backlights for those that did not feel comfortable with the upgrade themselves. I always try to ensure that those that deal with me are happy but some can not be pleased no matter what you do. If you have ever worked in retail its much the same. Im as good as person as any to head up this project and i will continue to do so. The 25 or so responses i have gotten so far seem to indicate that i CAN be trusted. Please abide by the list rules and do not post anything negative about any list members, Victor has already stated this many times. Your clear resin idea is a good one but it wont work, ive already expl
ored that option however i would be very excited to see you prove me wrong. Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 04:09:45 -0800 (PST)
From: "J. E. Simons" <newtlink_at_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [NTLK] New casings for the Newton ?

since there has been a bunch of Newton stuff that has left Apple/Newton INC. that should not have, the real question to all this talk of new casings is..

who has the OEM castings for the cases?? if we could find those, then the process would be so much easier..

they have to exist, and there should be more than just one set.. and if the set is incomplete, that's fine.. it should reduce the costs of producing the rest of the moulds..

i posed a question about the rechargeable battery's casing awhile ago.. if we could get an empty casing, then it would be much easier to produce new battery packs.. or the moulds to make them.. and the last manufacturer of the batteries was BTI, inc..

so, if this is real, and we want new casings, i think that we should find the OEM moulds..

there are some japanese fans of the powerbook 2400 that produce clear casings and parts for the PB2400.. but, some of the castings cost nearly $12000.00usd to make.. and they had access to a dental lab to do it.. if this holds true, this is going to cost alot..

i'm also not too sure about Ferdi heading all this up.. all his NTLK/eBay dealings, leave me feeling weak about this deal.. this is my personal beef about it..

i might just get some silicone and some clear resin and make my own.. exactly the way that the Frozen Newton Project was done to begin with..

my .02 cents..

jim.

"imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under it's own name...without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art"

-Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)