Re: [NTLK] NCU in Classic on Mac OS X

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 12:08:08 EST

On 27/11/02 11:08, "Mick Ring" <lists_at_rynosoft.com> wrote:

> I recently made the commitment to Mac OS X on my Beige G3. I'm slowly trying
> out my various apps to see if they'll run in Classic or if I'll want/have to
> upgrade. NCU, of course, does not give me this choice.
>
> Last night I tried to run it for the first time in Classic and did not have
> good results. The first time I tried it gave me errors related to the serial
> port before hanging with a blank main window. I had to force quit it (after
> waiting a couple of minutes) before I could delete the prefs file and try
> again. Now I no longer get the serial port errors but it still hangs on the
> main window. Note that I did restart Classic in between force quits.
>
> Anybody else seen this problem? Any clues on how to get by it?

I never had any problem running NCU under Classic in OS X 10.2.2. If you're
having problems, I would suggest you try reinstalling NCU so that you will
get all needed extensions (those evils!)...

-Laurent.

brute force adj.: Describes a primitive programming style, one in which the
programmer relies on the computer's processing power instead of using his or
her own intelligence to simplify the problem, often ignoring problems of
scale and applying naive methods suited to small problems directly to large
ones. The term can also be used in reference to programming style:
brute-force programs are written in a heavyhanded, tedious way, full of
repetition and devoid of any elegance or useful abstraction (see also brute
force and ignorance).