Re: [NTLK] Voice of reason

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 16:57:30 EST

>On 11/28/02 @ 5:11 AM, Kenton A. Hoover wrote:
>
>However, if I were Apple I wouldn't be all that interested
>in entering an already over-subscribed PDA market. Might
>want to make a stab at the combined PDA/cellphone market
>though.

I respectfully disagree that the PDA market is over-subscribed. However,
I understand your point. There is no compelling reason to buy one these
days like when they first came out.

For example, I know many folks who have become frustrated with their PDA
be it a PalmOS or PocketPC one. For some of these, their PDA has become
a simple contact manager and nothing else. Then again, I do know a few
who exploit the full capabilities of their devices. But very few seem to
fall into this category.

I agree that Apple will not enter the PDA market directly and may go at
it through another angle such as a PDA/cellphone combination. The Treo
is a good example of a PDA/Cell Phone product that seems to be doing well
at the moment.

Where I do believe that Apple may enter the market is the Tablet PC
arena. And when you look at it, the Newt 2k series is more of a Tablet
PC than PDA anyway due to it's size and capabilities. As I am use X.2,
it seems that a PenX version could easily be accomplished (X adopted for
pen input). We already have inkwell. And the Dock could easily be used
via pen. Everything else in the interface seems to be such that it could
be adapted for pen input as well.

I see Apple returning with something more on the order of the OQO device
(www.oqo.com) than a true PDA. A small Tablet PC device that would allow
us to use our desktop apps. Already X.2 will run okay on a G3. And
there are low power versions of the G3...

...then again, maybe it is just a lack of sleep on my part...or maybe I
am simply dreaming and don't know... :-)

Sushi

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html