Re: [NTLK] PPPoE?

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 17:30:42 EST

Robert Benschop <rbenschop_at_euronet.nl> typed in a brilliant burst of
vigour:

> on 27-11-2002 2:16, Randy & Cheyanne at charan_at_centurytel.net wrote:
>
> > Anyway to PPPoE with a 2100?
>
> My guess would be that with a router that handles the PPoE it
> shouldn't be a
> problem.
>
> Since I don't really have a clue about this this might not be true
> though...

Yeah, that's the only way. I use an SMC Barricade with my DSL
connection to create a LAN in my apartment. The Barricade handles all
the PPPoE stuff in hardware so my desktop machines (both Macs and
Windows machines) and Newtons don't have to deal with it. Even if there
were a PPPoE client for Newton, I would prefer to let the router handle
it.

I highly recommend the SMC Barricade if you're interested in sharing a
DSL connection with multiple computers using Ethernet and/or Wifi. It's
cheap, easy to configure, and in my experience works flawlessly.

-Jeremy

-
Jeremy Bond SHEPHERD | Americans practice different faiths in
San Francisco, CA | churches, synagogues, mosques and temples.
jbond_at_jameswhale.com | And many good people practice no faith
Phone: 415-929-0297 | at all.
ICQ: 72267083 | -- George W. Bush, finally gets it right
AIM: jeremybondsf | in his Easter Address of 2002
PGP key available on public keyservers.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html