[NTLK] Easiest import method for Names?

From: im-wired_at_attbi.com
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 20:50:27 EST

Hello crew!

This is an overall inquiry about getting names & addresses from my Mac
to my Newton 2100.

I have a super feature-rich address book tool that I wrote in FIlemaker that
was tweaked over a period of several years and it has tons of custom
goodies that I kinda hate to give up. Especially the ability to have a single,
shared database on my home LAN that my wife and I can both access
and update with the confidence that the info within is good/current.

On the one hand I'd like to pose my question to you as, "Whatz the slickest
way to get name/address/phone/etc. info from Filemaker into my
Newton".... but I'd like to think that I can be open minded and since I'm
just beginning this, I'm inclined to add a few additional dimensions to this
question to get input from you veteran Newtonians.

I might be persuaded to give up my Filemaker creation if I could truly "sync'
what's on my desktop computer with my Newton. I'm seeing posts about
Newt Sync but can't quite absorb what I'm reading but the concept holds a
lot of value for me.

I'm also open to using some other aftermarket contact manager
application` (not the built-in app) on the Newton end if it would help to
make the process of transferring the raw data more hassle free.

My newt is a blank slate right now (none of my names in there yet).
I've gleaned from the read-me with NCU that it supports several formats to
import stuff from including Excel 4.0. For my initial import 'd be willing to
export from Filemaker as comma delimited and open it in excel, then save
as 4.0. Problem is, I can't find anything that tells me what sequence the
fields need to be in let alone the nuts-n-bolts of how to even dump it to the
Newton once the data is prepared.

In short, I'm a total greenhorn here and would love some input!

Thanks in advance!
David Busey
Beaverton, Oregon

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html