Re: [NTLK] OT: first gen PPC macs

From: Martin Joseph (marty_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 01:28:08 EST

On Friday, November 29, 2002, at 01:06 AM, Randy & Cheyanne wrote:

> On Thursday, November 28, 2002, at 01:15 PM, Martin Joseph wrote:
>
>> Actually not true. It was the evil Michael Spindler who insisted that
>> the PPC be retrofitted onto the same board as the 280 that crippled it
>> so severely...
>> Marty
>
> Marty,
> I did not know that.
>
> Was that so one could upgrade a 210 through 280 to a 2300? I also
> thought that the 2300's lack of speed had something to do with no L2
> memory.

Basically, he didn't want to take the time and expense to "redesign"
and entirely new board, (this applies to the performa 5200/6200 series
as well, and to some extent the 6100.

So he forced the engineers to retrofit the PPC onto the existing
designs. This was majorly dumb since the PPC 601 was really a 32
bit(64 internal 32bit bus) design and the existing 68k based mobos were
16bit (32internal).

Wacky slowness ensued.

I have repeatedly been stuck by how much snappier the last '040 mac's
were when compared with there replacements....

To quote Johnny Rotten "ever feel like you've been cheated?"

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html