[NTLK] Syncing two MPK21 speaking different language... ?

From: Stefan Hassenstein (list.SH_at_gmx.de)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 15:09:50 EST

Newtonians !

In these golden days where Pauls ATA Driver
shines onto uncountable MBs of memory...

i was playing around to fill up my
256MB Sandisk (partionated to 4 times with 62MB)
giving memory to my new US-NOS Newton.

Since there was a lot of talking
on the list with focus on syncing
and restoring with standard sw like NCU
and SBM Utilities
i tried it ...and got messed up seriously.

The story:

My older one has a German NOS D-2.1 (747260)-1

The newer one is US-NOS 2.1 (717260)-1

First i tried to feed my old German Newt
with the 256MB card..got rejected by failure
notice stating a read error. (reported to Paul,
known bug, due to different indices for diff.
languages, on the to-do-list)

Second i feed the 16MB Flash card from
the german NOS to the US-NOS.
This time the card was readable, the driver
noticed the diff. language and offered an update,
which i refused to do...

With SBM Utilities i tried to copy all the
card info onto the 256 card.

        BEWARE

In the process of copying SBM Utils must have
fallen over a corrupted pck. ,next morning it was
frozen on doing the Soup "BACKUP_packages".
Did a reset.
Newton started, but 10106 at the aim partition
of the 256MB.
Erased and initialized that partition.
Tried it again, this time accepting the offer
of an update of the german indices...
Crushed again at the same point.

But now: When trying to put my 16Mb back
to her home destination in the German NOS...
something happend that made this
typical november day even more gray and
left me with a stiff upper lip:

On pushing the card into the slot it says
(sarcasticly): Read error, have to erase your
card before further use...

Well, now my questions:

        Am i not allowed to mix up two cards
        speaking with different language
        in a restore process ?

        Should i accept the offer coming up
        on inserting the card "upgrading to
        other language" ?

        Or should i only accuse the maybe broken
        package ?

        Is there any way to identify a broken pck.
        before a restore process is freezing ?
        (SBM utils clean and Doc did not tell
        s.th. strange before)

Thx to the community for