Re: [NTLK] Newtsync Features and Questions

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 17:34:58 EST

John Anderson <dearjohn_at_everchanging.com> typed valiantly:

> As for auto-discovery and auto-connection -- I have no plans for this
> in the near future. This would be somewhat tricky with TCP/IP, and you
> really have to "force" a network connection... you can't really react
> to an Ethernet cable being connected.

Couldn't the Mac client periodically send out a broadcast packet on the
local subnet advertising the IP/port the service was running on? Then,
when the user initiated a sync from the Newton, the Newton client could
listen to the wire for the broadcast packet, and configure itself
automagically?

Would be much nicer than having to write/tap in an IP address each time
(and make sure you know it in the first place.)

-Jeremy

-
Jeremy Bond SHEPHERD | Americans practice different faiths in
San Francisco, CA | churches, synagogues, mosques and temples.
jbond_at_jameswhale.com | And many good people practice no faith
Phone: 415-929-0297 | at all.
ICQ: 72267083 | -- George W. Bush, finally gets it right
AIM: jeremybondsf | in his Easter Address of 2002
PGP key available on public keyservers.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html