Re: [NTLK] Unsubscribing

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 22:32:50 EST

> 1. The Newton is not very reliable if the amount of problems listed in
> here
> (and elsewhere) is used as a sample group. I've never seen a machine
> with
> so many hardware related failures. Nobody should have to "buy two" in
> case
> one fails. While I understand it is relatively archaic as far as
> hardware
> is concerned, even my old console systems from the early 80's still
> operate
> flawlessly.

When the MessagePad was discontinued, I bought a second MP2100 as a
back-up...just in case. (This must have been five years ago) I've
never, ever needed to use it. I'll take it out of the closet and
recharge the battery every so often, but that's all. The original
MessagePad I bought (it must have been seven years ago) is still going
strong. The backlight has dimmed a bit, one of the rechargeable battery
packs is about at the end of its' useful life, and the on/off switch
could probably use a bit of work...but it still performs well under
almost daily use.

I expect just about *any* portable device will be subject top a great
deal more wear-and-tear than something that sits on a desk. And seven
years might as well be an eternity in computing.

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html