Re: [NTLK] Overclocking the MP2x00

From: Daniel Padilla (dproldan_at_telefonica.net)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 07:46:43 EST

> I am surprised by this, as I would not expect such a special batch of
> StrongARMs to be created just for Apple.

    It sound strange to me too, but remember that the SA was first made for
apple and specially for the newton.

> I do know that the CCCFG pins function as described in the datasheets on
> other StrongARMs, as I have one in my Acorn RiscPC.
> On this machine the CCCFG pins are brought out
> helpfully to four DIP switches on the CPU card where, after a little
> surgery to a couple of tracks on the board to void the warrantee, it is
> possible to overclock happily right up to 287MHz. At least until the
> SA110 begs for mercy anyways. ;)

    Maybe switching the SA from an acorn... How much are those machine
going nowadays? (evil grin) (crying newton)

> > There's also a big "162" printed on the chip.
> > Indeed, it's not an easy task to rewire the four pins but I *had* to
try
> > :-)
>
> But of course. :) Which pins did you source VDDX and VSS from? How did
> you manage to disconnect CCCFG from the motherboard?

    I can't remember right now, i don't have the docs atm, but I took it
from another pins, there are plenty of those signals available.
    I lifted the pins with a needle (and some heat) and soldered four wires
to them. I think I have some pictures somewhere. Not really that funny.

Daniel Padilla

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html