Re: [NTLK] Proof of Robin being Katarina

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 08:47:52 EST

somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 11/29/02 4:40 PM, the entity
known as David Orriss Jr transmitted the following from dave_at_davenet.net:

> Heck with Einstein, you could be the village idiot and still see that the
> emails came from the same computer. That's the nice thing about ip codes.
> They're like rabbit droppings all over the internet. It's even better in
> that nowadays machines always have the *same* IP code since so very often
> emails are sent from dedicated IP connections.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion, but since the original was
through Comcast (i.e., cable modem), your "equal IPs means same computer"
theory just ain't necessarily so. AFAIK, no Comcast user is *guaranteed* to
get the same IP every time they reset or turn off their cable modem. *IF*
the first person turned off their cable modem for any length of time, the IP
number could've been freed up and recycled to someone else (namely
Katarina).

I'd say that at least once a month I have to reset my cable modem. I've not
checked, but I believe I *usually* get the same IP back, probably because my
connection isn't down long enough for the server to grab back the IP.
However, when there's a bad storm, I power down and unplug everything. In
those cases I have no idea if my IP remains the same.

Now, I've got no ax to grind in either direction on this topic, but I just
thought that I'd throw in a neutral observation that may have bearing.

- Eric.