Re: [NTLK] Unsubscribing

From: Betty (bettyy_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 16:34:56 EST

Hi Chris,

It's true that this list has a lot of mail and a lot of that mail isn't related directly to our little green friend. However, this list really is pretty good.

If you're thinking of getting out of the Newton because you think they have hardware problems, I need to throw in my two cents.

I've been reading this list for over five years. My conclusion is that there is just three hardware problems across the entire line of newtons. The 130s have a tendency to die. The 2000/2100 series suffers from jaggies. And the emate has the display cable problem. The jaggies aren't as widespread as it sounds. The biggest potential problems, and this is common for any computer/PDA, is breaking the screen or having it stolen. Neither problem is inherent in the quality or construction of the Newton.

I bought my Newton about 5 years ago right before they were discontinued. It was a 2000 and I knew that I was going to send it to Apple for the upgrade so I tried not to put much information into it. Nevertheless, for the few days it was gone, I already missed it. After it was discontinued, it became apparent that a backup unit was needed in case of emergencies (as noted above, broken screen or stolen Newt). My original unit is still going strong and I don't anticipate needing my backup. But, of course, acidents are not anticipated.

Betty