Re: [NTLK] Power adaptors....radio shack?

From: Jesse Rosen (jester_at_macconnect.com)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 11:40:28 EDT

On Sunday, September 29, 2002, at 01:14 PM, Peter Cameron wrote:

> AC in 100V-240V, 50-60Hz, 20-38VA
> DC out 7.5V, 1.2A
>
> But, unlike many other AC adapters, the 9W Newton adapter does not
> allow
> the output to exceed what the Newton can take when it goes into the
> fastCharge mode. Other adapters will give the Newton more that the
> specified
> power when the Newt asks for it _ not a good thing.

Do you mean that the Newton would draw more than 1.2A (=9W_at_7.5V) if it
was available? It seems that as long as you get a power supply that
won't put out more than 1.2Amps you should be fine. (It seems kind of
surprising to me that the charger would depend on a current regulator
in the AC power supply instead of putting it in the device itself...
Also -- isn't there a temperature sensor in the battery pack? That
should stop it charging when it starts to overheat)