Re: [NTLK] serial connection

From: TT Mooney (ttmooney_at_dilettantism.com)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 17:32:31 EDT

hi dede --

what you want is a serial to usb converter, like the keyspan usb twin
serial adapter (http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA28x/). or the
usb high-speed serial adapter
(http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA19W/) which is a little
cheaper, but only gives you one port.

there are a lot of other products like this one from different
manufacturers. belkin makes a single-port converter
(http://catalog.belkin.com/
IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=2002&pcount=&Product_I
d=20940&Section.Section_Path=%2F%2FRoot%2FUSB%2FMacProducts%2FAdapters%2
F) and a dual-port converter
(http://catalog.belkin.com/
IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=2002&pcount=&Product_I
d=102007&Section.Section_Path=%2F%2FRoot%2FUSB%2FMacProducts%2FAdapters%
2F), but, like the urls, they're ugly as sin and priced around the same
as the keyspan gear.

i don't think a 'pda' adapter will work, but who knows? get the gear at
a place with a good return policy.

if you have a mp2x00 or an emate, you'll also need an interconnect
adapter, or a data cable with a built-in interconnect. these items are
easiest to find on ebay.

ttm

On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 02:24 PM, Dede Johnson wrote:

> Okay, I have finally realized (like a good newbie) that before I can
> get anything else working, I have to get a serial to USB cable so that
> I can load software onto the Newton. Now the question is, where is the
> best place to get such a cable and what, exactly, do I ask for? (I'd
> rather not look too dumb in too many places!)
>
> Thanks guys,
> Dede J.
> from Maine
>

> --