Re: [NTLK] Synchronicity - Icon design contest

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 13:04:20 EDT

But...
that icon, the circle with two arrows is commonly
used! It's like the look-and-feel argument...can you
claim ownership of a symbol that is so universal that
any other symbol would just be wrong? If so, I claim
ownership of that battery icon (the one that shows
which way to insert a battery?) I'll be rich!
Everybody's got to pay me royalties! I'll be right up
there with the GIF and JPG patent lawsuits!
Ed (Happy October Fest!)
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- John Anderson <dearjohn_at_everchanging.com> wrote:

> This sort of concerns me as well; Apple is viciously
> protective of
> their intellectual property (as they should be), and
> while using system
> icons in a toolbar isn't gonna turn any heads,
> incorporating a logo
> from an iApp to support a product that SJ hates...
> doesn't seem like
> the best way for me to keep my day job there.
>
> I'm probably over-reacting, but just to be on the
> safe side, can we
> stick to original designs?
>
> Thanks! :-)
>
> John
>
> > Should we not refrain from building our icon
> submissions for
> > Anderson's app off of Apple's iSync icon? That's
> kind of like
> > information piracy/copying. It's like taking
> someone's logo and just
> > modifying it - then calling it your own logo.

=====
"Bush, himself the most intellectually backward American president of my political lifetime, is surrounded by advisers whose bellicosity is exceeded only by their political, military and diplomatic illiteracy,"
 - Gerald Kaufman, a lawmaker from the governing British Labor Party