Re: [NTLK] Hardware/Software Combination

From: John Anderson (dearjohn_at_everchanging.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 20:54:22 EDT

Correct. The workaround for this is a bit strange, and it's not going
to get better when the software goes open-source because even then I'm
not interested in going GPL. (The BSD license isn't so much of a
virus.) So here's the solution that I arrived at:

1) Provide an easy-to-use installer for the software on the
everchanging web site, and GPL that.
2) If the user has the unixnpi software installed and they choose to
download the connection app to the Newton.
3) If the user doesn't have the software installed, the user's web
browser will open to the download page for the GPL software.

Seems like a decent way around the GPL thing.

John