Re: [NTLK] 'Genius bar'

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 10:05:00 EDT

"Rolando Agado (TTC F.H.)" <ragado_at_ttcautomotive.com> wrote:

> Glen wondered:
>
> So, what questions did you have?
>
> I've been having some network problems with my eMate lately.... I
have no
> trouble exchanging files through a serial cable to my LC 580, but I
haven't
> had any luck getting it to talk through the ethernet card.
>
> I went through the FAQ sheet last nite... and I have a funny feeling
that my
> 3Com card is dead. :( I just gave it to my IT department to
confirm it's
> non-working status.... but haven't been given the final word.

Well, I have an ethernet card ... installing the software to make it
work kinda filled up the internal store ...! :o\ Moved all the excess
stuff to the 16M flash card, and now I have the room ... but haven't
taken the time to load it with the appropriate software.

One of these days .....

> "... and what article did you read to prompt you to buy an eMate?"
>
> Well... it first started with a great article on wired.com about
Newton
> communities. They discussed how many people still used their Newton
> (primarily 2100's) still.... so I decided to look into one. I ran
across
> a picture of the eMate and was drawn into it by it's design. I
remember
> them vividly when they first came out... but never went out of my to
> purchase one at that time.

I read that article; one of the few Wired articles I've actually read
all the way through.

> Anyhoo.... I was thinking about purchasing an iBook, but couldn't
justify
> the purchase for writing term papers & music reviews for a webzine I
> scribble for.

Picked up a used iBook for $600 at www.macofalltrades.com ... 64MB of
RAM, 20GB hard drive. Upped the RAM to 256, loaded it with software,
and off to the ex.

> I considered getting a PDA and roll out keyboard.... but that too
seemed
> really silly. I remembered the eMate having a built in keyboard...
so I did
> a little research. A mini-review in Rolling Stone (yes... rolling
stone of
> all places) discussing *must have gadgets* sold me on the idea.

I'll have to run down that review some time ...!

> Found one on eBay and I was ready to rawk! (or so I thought)
>
> After a couple of days of playing with my eMate... I managed to
erase my
> internal memory. Luckily the person I purchased the eMate from
enclosed the
> necessary drivers in case this sort of thing happened.

Thoughtful. Mine didn't come with anything, and needed the dreaded
Broke Hinge Repair(tm).

> Well... I couldn't get the eMate to talk to our iMac because I lost
the
> 3Com ethernet drivers. So I found a LC 580 (with serial ports) for
$15 and
> brought that bad boy in to install the goods back on my eMate.

I bought a Keyspan adapter on half.com for the same price. :o)

> I'm still having little luck getting the eMate to talk to our PC or
iMac at
> home, but I suspect that the card is dead.

Well, at least you have an IT department to fall back on ....

> I did however find a ethernet card for the LC 580 and I have it
networked
> with the other computers at home....
>
> I'm currently looking at purchasing a new Farallon card for my
eMate... I
> hope that by doing so, I can avoid having to use 2 or 3 computers to
bring a
> text file to life.

Thus far, these are all I've needed: Keyspan Adapter, NCU 1.0, an
iMac, and an iBook. -- oh, and an eMate! :o)

--gdw