Re: [NTLK] I vant AvantGo!

From: J. E. Simons (newtlink_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 12:37:21 EDT

avantgo URLs are hidden.. and the avantgo client software is what allows you to view the hidden URLs.. and the actual sites are HTML 3.2, formatted to avantgo's specifications..

http://www.avantgo.com/doc/developer/styleguide/styleguide.html

it would be nice to setup a formatting proxy server for the Newton.. go to the proxy, and it strips and formats specifically for the Newton's screens.. but how well something like that would actually work is anyone's guess..

-----------------------------------------------===========-------=======------===

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [NTLK] I vant AvantGo!

More than likely not...you have to understand why
Avant-go works to understand why it won't happen on
the Newt.
Avant-go is similar to Web-TV. There are servers that
take your web page request and reworks it to get it to
fit the device you are viewing the page on. So, when
you browse a site with AvantoGo, the Avantgo server
reads the page you request,
re-configs/reworks/remangles the page and spits it out
into something that the Palm can understand...So,
since the Newt was never a member of this Avantgo
system, there is no configuration in the avantgo
server to re-map pages to the Newton screen/OS. So, it
won't happen...
Ed (Happy October Fest!)
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- Philip Halsey <phalsey_at_provide.net> wrote:

> Is there any way to get this software on a Newt?
> Forgive me if this topic has been addressed before.

"imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under it's own name...without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art"

-Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)