Re: [NTLK] clicks when I adjust volume

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 13:26:17 EDT

On 11/10/02 22:51, "Tom McDougal" <tmcdougal_at_newted.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the response (you are the only one). But, I **did** specify a
> "doc done" sound in 'prefs' in Newtscape. I have tried several "doc
> done" sounds, but I never hear anything.
>
> The clicking behavior when I adjust volume is not what used to happen.
> Formerly, I would hear a "beep" sound at whatever volume I was setting.
> Isn't *that* the normal behavior?
>
> Any other thoughts?

I don't know what's going on with your copy of Newtscape, but the settings
to hear those sounds is in the main preferences, in the "Sound" section of
Preferences. There are 2 checkboxes there: "Action sound effects" for when
you click on a button, delete an item, etc., and there is "Pen sound
effects" when you tap and hold the pen down to make a selection. If this is
enabled, you will hear the screeching sound.

-Laurent.

fat electrons n.: Old-time hacker David Cargill's theory on the causation of
computer glitches. Your typical electric utility draws its line current out
of the big generators with a pair of coil taps located near the top of the
dynamo. When the normal tap brushes get dirty, they take them off line to
clean them up, and use special auxiliary taps on the bottom of the coil.
Now, this is a problem, because when they do that they get not ordinary or
`thin' electrons, but the fat'n'sloppy electrons that are heavier and so
settle to the bottom of the generator. These flow down ordinary wires just
fine, but when they have to turn a sharp corner (as in an integrated-circuit
via), they're apt to get stuck. This is what causes computer glitches.