Re: [NTLK] Newton 2x00 internal ram

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 23:17:10 EDT

on 16/10/02 22:38, Matthew B.Hershberger at matthewh_at_thepcmd.info wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am new to the list and I want to get an Newton 2x000, I've seen some
> remarks about newtons with 4,8, and 16 mb of ram. All I've seen on ebay
> and other sources selling used newtons is either 2000 (1mb) or 2100
> (4mb). Was the information I saw incorrect or are there rarer versions,
> like beta or testing versions that have more internal ram.
>
> Also, does anyone have any information on the basics of the newton
> operating system? For a senior college project, I was considering
> porting a scaled down version of linux to the newton, if I can get
> enough information on the basic of the hardware.
>
> Thanks in advance for all help,

Don't confuse the internal memory and external memory, on flash RAM cards.
The upgraded 2000 and the 2100 have 8 MB of DRAM. This memory is split in
various areas so that you end up with about 4 MB of storage space in that
memory and about 400 KB of "heap", to run programs. External PCMCIA storage
Flash RAM cards come in size of 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16, 20, 24 and 32 MB
of storage space.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

bytesexual /bi:t`sek'shu-*l/ adj.: [rare] Said of hardware, denotes willingness to compute or pass data in either big-endian or little-endian format (depending, presumably, on a mode bit somewhere). See also NUXI problem.