Re: [NTLK] Fancy ROM Board

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 03:08:34 EDT

À (At) 22:51 -0400 17/10/02, Victor Rehorst écrivait (wrote) :
> > Do you have some links/information dealing with the programmable ROM
>> boards?
>
>There aren't any sites about them, because practically no one has them.

Indeed. The only guy I heard of who has one is an Apple engineer.

> > Do you know if anyone has attempted/succeeded in increasing the amount
>> of ram?
>
>No one has been successful in increasing the amount of DRAM. Doing so would
>also require a system patch to tell the OS that there is more memory, and to
>reallocate it accordingly.

Well, this is the easy part, although this cannot be (easily) done
with a system patch. It must be a custom ROM Board.

The really hard part is to modify the motherboard to support it.

The voyager chipset is the heart of the Newton, I mentioned it
yesterday. Well, it accesses the DRAM. And I don't think it has any
additional address line for more DRAM.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/