Re: [NTLK] NPDS Questions...

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 11:50:52 EDT

On Ven 18 oct 2002 Smith Family wrote:
>Just wondering if anyone can tell me how to get my soon-to-be DSL connected Newt 2100 serving pages (btw, does anyone know the answers to some of my earlier questions about ethernet?). I heard something about DynDNS.org... do I need to do anything there to get it working?

This is a typical question and it is answered in the new NPDS manual which hasn't been written yet.

First, you need to get your Newton online. Internet clients such as Simple Mail or Newtscape should work. This might be detailed in the aforementioned manual.

Then, there are two cases. Either your Newton is really on the internet (it has a routable IP) or it is on a local network.

In that latter case, you need to have a control on the front router or computer, i.e. the machine that acts as a bridge between the internet and the local network. It could be an airport base for example. This machine should be told to forward requests on the port you're serving on to the Newton. Please consult the sub-chapter of the manual for your hardware & software or ask here / on the NPDS list if it's not documented.

Additionally, if your Newton is on a LAN, you need to specify the address of the router in the tracker client (check the LAN checkbox and enter the 'Public IP').

Problems arise when the router doesn't have a static IP. In that case, the easiest is to fill the public ID field with a dynamic name and use a dyndns-like client to update that name on another machine of the network.

The NPDS packages are here: http://npds.free.fr/
You need at least nHTTPd and Setup. You probably want to install the note server, the watcher, the tracker client, the GIF server, etc.

This page also mentions how to subscribe to the list.

Paul

--
This wirelessly-sent message was pen-written.
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/