Re: [NTLK] Flash cards and errors -10551/-10607

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 14:22:17 EDT

> What I think did happen in your case is that the card has developed some bad
> sectors. Usually, on a laptop, those bad sectors (like bad sectors on a
> disk) can be mapped out. However, on a Newton, the OS doesn't have this
> functionality so whenever you have a single sector that goes bad, the entire
> card is unusable.

Exactly. This is why people shouldn't think that they can 'fix' a card in
a laptop.

Additionally, the NewtonOS stores data in a store engine.
If a sector is dead, a lot of data can be unreachable. In most cases, no
data can be retrieved.

ATA Support cannot map sectors out yet, but it can read a list of mapped
out sectors.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/