Re: [NTLK] NCU and MacOS X on PB G3

From: bob barkany (bob_at_barkany.com)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 09:23:44 EST

On 24/10/02 18:47, "Laurent Daudelin" <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
wrote:

>=20
> On 24/10/02 12:11, "andrew_at_misf67.cern.ch" <andrew_at_misf67.cern.ch> wrote:
>=20
>> Hello,
>>=20
>> I finally have started to switch and I have installed MacOs X (10.1.5) o=
>> my good old Powerbook G3 (250MHz). It is faster than I had expected. Thi=
>> machine has a real derial port.
>>=20
>> But, when I start NCU (in classic) I get an error 78 because it could n=
ot
>> configure the printer-modem port. The only possibility seems to be
>> connecting via appletalk. Does anyone know how to make the serial port
>> available again for NCU under classic??
>=20
> Unfortunately, unless some driver is written, you won't be able to use th=
> serial ports on your PowerBook because serial support in OS X is simply n=
ot
> there. All USB-to-Serial adapters on the market for OS X always come with=
> driver that you need to install. So, even though your machine has serial
> ports, there are not used by OS X.
>=20
> -Laurent.
Dear Laurent
I beg to differ
I spent the weekend messing around with Newten and Nsync on a g3 powerbook
running 10.2 connecting newton with dongle to serial port.
I managed to install the nsync into the newton with newten after a few
attempts and get the people from Names into the mac address book app.
What nsync couldn=B9t do for me was enter entries which were set up as
companies rather that people who may or may not work for companies.
What I cannot do on either my G4 nor my powerbook is to get NCU working.
If you or anyone could help with that, it would be brill
Thanks
-- Bob Barkany, Photographer
   tel +44 (0) 7973 666 243
    www.barkany.com