[NTLK] Newton- as sole repository for class notes

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 23:15:31 EST

So, I've mostly used my 2100 as a little laptop plus some specialized apps,
as some of you will no doubt know from my posting history.

I've generated some interest in the Newt among coworkers and some students
are interested it it as a notetaking device. They've played with my spare
2100 a little.

I know some of the people on the list have used the Newt almost exclusively
for their class notes at one time or another; any experience along those
lines (serious stationery use) that I could pass along would be
appreciated.

Experience with system glitches/ notes vs Works, utils that are useful in
real use etc. would be most appreciated. Did you use the HWR or just go
with inktext, how safe were the "big note"-type apps in real use (thinking
of backup integrity, etc), that sort of thing.

As regards myself, I had a 130 for a long time, and I just could not deal
with the overlapping text issues that always eventually crop up (at least
for me) if I'm adding and moving text around in blocks, I'm just not that
linear a notetaker or I've had nonlinear lecturers or meetings I guess.
Since it was a 130, it was a little slow for real-time HWR, I couldn't use
Works, and once I got a 2100 I just wasn't in the habit of using it for
more than one or two screens of notetaking, and used outline format notes
even then. Plus by the time I had the "disposable income" $$ for the 2100
I was done with classes (big surprise there). I have pretty good success
with the HWR though, enough for notes or emails of a few screens but a
whole lecture? That's a lot of material.

Thanks for thoughts; I'll pass them along to the folks that are interested.

Brian

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html