Re: [NTLK] Bugtrap report: eMate 2.2 & Wavelan card

From: Stephanie Maks (newton_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 09:09:07 EST

> When unpatched, the eMate says NewtonOS 2.2. But I can't find any
> serious reason for having an unpatched eMate. It's not because it
> says 2.2 that it's superior to a patched eMate saying 2.1. On the
> contrary, it has painful bugs. This ethernet bug is just a little one
> compared to the issues that were solved in the PCMCIA code, for
> example.

Well, I've never said OS 2.2 was 'better', and I do know that the system
patches are there for a very good reason. However, since I have yet to
encounter any problems with my unpatched eMate, I've chosen to leave
like this until I do encounter some problems.

The ethernet card -48807 errror, originally, had me about to reinstall
the system patches on the eMate and the MP2100, since it would have been
serious if I couldn't use ethernet. For now though, and with my tongue
firmly in cheek, I have a 'rare and unique' eMate, that is 'special'.
At least, that's how some vendors describe them on eBay. :-)

> If you really want, I can cook you a system patch so your MP will say
> 3.0.
>
> Paul

When I was tinkering with the system patches, I used a hex editor and
converted the 717260 string to read StephM, so I had a 'personalized
version of the OS.' Of course it didn't do anything special, but it
was kind of cool to have my name appear in the version string. I got
bored with it pretty quick though and removed it.

-Stephanie

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html