Re: [NTLK] Appletalk print queue

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 10:21:42 EST

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 02:03, Jeremy Bond Shepherd wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> With the rapid decline of Appletalk, network printing from Newtons is
> becoming more difficult.
>
> I've heard various vague references to the ability to "export" a
> simulated Appletalk print queue from a Windows or Unix box that will
> receive a print job via Appletalk and then bridge the job to an IP (or
> serial or parallel I suppose) connected printer.
>
> Does this ring any bells? Has anybody accomplished this? I have
> Windows-networked laser printers at the office, and at home I have an
> inkjet connected to my OSX Mac via USB. I can reach neither from my
> Newton over Ethernet.

This is how I print from my Newton. It must be the second coolest way to
get hardcopy from your Newton after using a real PostScript printer.

You'll need a supported ethernet card for your Newton, the appropriate
drivers, a crossover cable and the netatalk daemon.

An extensive source of information is on

http://misf67.cern.ch/~reinhold/Newton/Newton_and_Linux-mini-HOWTO.html

(go to the section 'How to print from a Newton using linux)

Don't forget to get a .ppd file for your printer. It is mentioned in the
howto, but easily forgotten, and for some reason netatalk requires those
files to be present (although the Newton doesn't use it).

Another thing: Get Sean Luke's PostScript fonts on your Newton. They can
be found at

http://scruffy.cs.umd.edu:8080/seanl/Newton/Fonts/

One caveat: Netatalk apparently cannot be implemented on OSX. My best
suggestion would be to get some cheapo low-spec intel box and an older
linux distribution (S.u.S.E. 5.3 installed flawlessly on e.g. a pentium
75) and use that as your Newton print server. That's what I did anyway.

--
Karel Jansens.

Vyvyan: "I must be hallucinating! What's a good thing for a hangover?" Mike: "Drinking heavily the night before." (the Young Ones - episode 'Time')