Re: [NTLK] Can I use a Stowaway keyboard?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 12:03:36 EST

On 30/10/02 11:44, "Doug Parker" <dougparker_at_progressdata.com> wrote:

> ...snip...
>
> http://www.splorp.com/newton/stowaway/protocol/
>
>> Now, if someone would like to write a driver that
>> translates the Stowaway protocol to Newton keyboard
>> protocol, we'd be that much closer to cooking with gas.
>
> What does it take to 1) write a driver (NewtScript, C++, assembler, ?), and
> 2) patch it into the NewtOS. IIRC, MacOS used to use some sort of dispatch
> tables on interrupts kind of a thingy--I don't know what programming model
> the Newton follows.
>
> My other thought was to perhaps do the translation in HW through stamp or
> PIC programming. Program a lookup table to do the translation on the fly
> into the PIC: it comes in on one side of the PIC, does the translation
> lookup, and shoves it out the other side to the Newt. 1-2-3. Power comes
> from the serial cable(?). Does anyone else on the list play with PICs? My
> practical experience with PIC programming is nil.

You need the NewtonDev archive from UNNA, in the development section. That
will give you MPW with all the required headers, libraries and
documentation. Of course, you're most likely to write that driver in C++.
The result should be an extension package.

-Laurent.

field servoid [play on `android'] /fee'ld ser'voyd/ n.: Representative of a
field service organization (see field circus). This has many of the
implications of droid.